Whether enjoying the tranquility of a beautiful beach or exploring the spice markets of Istanbul, traveling allows you the chance to explore new places and enhance your knowledge of the world around you. Staying healthy while you travel can ensure that you make the most of your time. So use the following tips to feel well as you begin your journey and onward.
1. If you are traveling abroad and want to start off with a healthy meal inflight, you can order a special meal from the airline 48 hours in advance. You can choose from a variety of choices including Vegetarian, Hindu Vegetarian and Asian.
2. Make sure you stay hydrated as you travel. Purchase bottles of water as you explore your surroundings. or keep it green and bring along your water bottle from home and refill with clean water.
3. Stop at local farmer’s markets and buy some fresh fruit for snacks. The fruit will provide you with a wealth of nutrients, in addition to much needed fiber to keep you regular.
4. Bring along some packable snacks, such as KIND bars and nuts. It’s easier to have healthy snacks on hand, plus it helps with portion control.
5. Make sure to order salads or sides of vegetables in restaurants. Veggies will help fill you up and not weigh you down. Ask for dressings and sauces on the side.
Lisa Stollman, MA, RDN, CDE, CDN is an award-winning Nutritionist and the author of The Trim Traveler: How to Eat Healthy and Stay Fit While Traveling Abroad and The Teen Eating Manifesto: The Ten Essential Steps to Losing Weight, Looking Great and Getting Healthy. She is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist in private practice and writer based in Huntington, Long Island and NYC. Lisa specializes in travel nutrition, weight management, and diabetes for teens and adults. To find out more about Lisa, visit www.lisastollmanrd.com